“To deliver exceptional comprehensive, individualized care in a therapeutic environment consistent with current practices, thereby reducing the incidence of institutionalization, recidivism and stigmatization, while promoting optimal mental functioning for all.”
The Renovated Eloise Penn Ward was officially open on November 20th 2006. This psychiatric unit is designed to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of male patients aged eighteen (18) to sixty (60) years with acute psychiatric disorders. The unit is a ten (10) bed unit with four (4) seclusion rooms, staff lounge, dining area, nurse stations, bathrooms, kitchen and courtyard.
The Unit caters to clients diagnosed with:
- Drug induced psychosis, psychosis;
- Depression, bipolar disorders; and
- Schizophrenia, anxiety disorders
Our aim is to provide the highest standard of psychiatric intervention to clients in the acute phase of their illness through:
- Individual, family and group counseling;
- Discharge planning;
- Education of clients and families (mental illness, medication, relapse prevention); and
- Social Therapy
- To enable clients to return to their families and communities with improved and effective coping skills.
- To promote therapeutic community by engaging clients in decision-making process and mental health promotion.
- To encourage active participation of relatives, guardians and significant others in the care and rehabilitation of clients, to foster therapeutic relationships.
- To maintain consistency in aspects of patient care.
- To encourage opportunities to enhance aspects of patient care.
- To implement evidence-based practices for the continuity and delivery of mental health services.
- To engage clients, families and communities in mental health education and promotion.
- Nursing Officers
- Psychiatric Staff Nurses
- Psychiatric Trained Clinical Nurses
- Staff Nurses
- Trained Clinical Nurses
- Nursing Auxiliaries
- Social Workers
Source of Referrals
- Accident & Emergency Department at Princess Margaret Hospital
- Community Counseling & Assessment Centre
- Family Islands
- Rand Memorial Hospital
- Doctor’s Offices
Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Family Support Group
Sundays 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Visitors must adhere to the wards visiting hours
- Visitors must state the purpose for their visit
- Visitors must sign the visitors register
- All items brought to the ward for patients will be checked by ward staff
- Visitors who have concerns should direct their enquires to the Nurse-in-Charge of the Ward or the Duty Nursing Officer
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated
- Cell phones and cameras are not allowed on the ward
Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays
2:00 – 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday and Holidays
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
2:00 – 5:00 p.m.
6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
For additional information or to inquire how you can assist, please contact us
Renovated Eloise Penn Ward
Sandilands Rehabilitation Centre
Fox Hill Road
Telephone: 242-364-9785 or 242-324-1246 ext 9685